Thursday, April 12, 2012

Garmin Echo 150 Fish Finder Install

Why use a fish finder for crabbing? 

Well, the traps I use have a 15 foot line. I want to make sure that I am setting the traps where they would properly deploy. The FF has a depth alarm on it, so it lets me know when I get into waters deeper than the length of the rope on my traps. It also reads water temperature. Having the transducer mounted inside the hull may not give me super accurate readings, but I assume that it should get me close. Do you really want to know why I got this piece of gear? It is for the peace of mind that there aren't any bull sharks, barracudas, or killer snakeheads lurking under my kayak ready to gnaw on my feet.


Update:  This piece of gear has been invaluable out on the water. It has been great to know depth and underwater terrain. So far it has worked like a charm. The transducer set up is holding just fine. I would highly recommend a fish finder as an essential gear for kayak crabbing. May 1, 2012.


Garmin Echo 150 Fish Finder

Had to file down the sides of the mount for it to sit flush

 A wet well made out of some scrap packing material and Marine Goop for the transducer


Battery wedged under the cup holder
Out on the water for a quick test


Questions? Leave it in the comment section.

4 comments:

  1. Just picked up a Garmin 100 for my Tarpon and had no idea how I'd mount the transducer - Lucky I stopped by your blog - Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The wet well is working like a charm. At first, I tried using Vaseline to fill the well but it was too messy and it did not work too well. Now I just use several handful of water and pour it in the well. Works great. I check it once every month and refill.

      Good Luck.

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    I read youre article and I've got a Question.

    I'm intersted in this fishfinder and I want to install it in my Hobie kayak.

    The transducer you used was the original one or the special thru hull transducer.


    Best regards

    Arjan
    the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The transducer I use is the one that came with the fish finder.

      Delete