Thursday, August 18, 2011

My Stohlquist TowMotion Review



It was a toss up between Stohlquist TowMotion and Kokatat Bahia Tour PFD. 


After much comparison the Stohlquist won out due to its comfort and roomy pockets. Unlike the Kokatat the Stohlquist's whole front panel ARE the pockets. It has plenty of space for a mirror, a whistle, a couple of energy bars, iPhone and wallet. It also has dedicated EVA laminated pocket for my VHF marine radio which keeps it nice and secure from any dings and scratches. It is evident that Stohlquist did their homework when they designed this PFD. I love how they tilt mounted the 4-way accessory lash tabs on the front (for an easy access of a mounted knife) and back (so a mounted strobe lights would not blind you while deployed). I also like how the 500 Denier Cordura shell is brightly colored (fireball red), but has a subdued sheen. The Bahia Tour's shiny shell makes it look cheap, plus I've never been a big fan of the color yellow.

The cut of the PFD is perfect. It rides high on my torso which shouldn't get in the way when paddling or pulling traps. I am a big guy with a gut, but the chest strap keeps the vest from riding up to my neck. It should suit either an A or V framed paddler thanks to its multiple cinch harnesses. When I first put it on the vest felt too snug, but after a minute or two it relaxes and the PVC-free Gaia (eco-friendly) foam forms to the contours of my torso. The Kokatat felt about the same when I tried it on in the store. But I was turned off by the three cinch straps on the side of the vest. They could have spread it out a bit for better fit.

One complaint is that the back panel is too long and interferes with my kayak's high back rest. The Kokatat has a shorter back panel and fits better with back rest.

Overall, I am happy and would recommend this gear to a friend. The Kokatat Bahia Tour is a good PFD, but the Stohlquist TowMotion proved to be the better product due the listed reasons above. I am looking forward to field test this vest as soon as I can. I will surely do follow up review of this gear after some use and abuse.

Pros:  Great Fit, Lots of storage, Well thought of lash tabs placement
Cons:  Pricey, Back panel too long

No comments:

Post a Comment