Sunday, July 6, 2014

DIY Live/Bait Well

Here is my version of the popular live well used by kayak anglers. It took me two days to do the research, scavenge for parts, and put it all together. Most parts were sourced from PetSmart, West Marine, Ace Hardware, and my garage.

I followed the instruction from HOOK1's site and used a pet food container as the base for this project.








The battery box is located in the front of the live well in order to have better access to the switch. I do not leave it running the whole time. I switch it on and off every 15 minutes or so. The battery box is a  Pelican 1150. The 12v battery fits nice and there is just enough room for the wiring.











I also installed a  drain plug in the front of the tank, again for better access. I drain some water out when on the move, or on the way back. All the weight of the tank (48 lbs) makes the kayak a bit unstable and heavy. I may add a second drain plug on the other side.






You can never have enough rod holders in a kayak.





































The bilge pump hose is a 3/4" ID and the wire hose is 3/8" ID. The bilge pump is a Rule 360 gph. It has enough power to fill the tank very quickly.

I may add some pad eyes on it to keep it secured on the tank well of the kayak.

Here is a pic of the live well out on the water after testing it out.


Overall, I am very happy how this project turned out. It worked like a charm out in the water. It kept 6 good sized Croakers and 4 Spots alive all day long. I think this live well will work for crabs as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment